Sunday, June 7, 2009

Fried Seafaring Friends


I've got quite a penchant for fried sea creatures. On a recent trip to Australia, it took tremendous willpower not to pop into a corner take-away (it seems there's one on every corner in Sydney) and feast on the fried offerings at every meal. Shrimp and crab and lobster are nice every once in a while, but smelt are my favourite local fishy fare. Smelt are a very small fish, and they can be sustainably caught by net in the spring in our Great Lakes and rivers. They're also readily available frozen at the supermarket.

I like them whole, but you might prefer to clean them and remove the heads and tails. All they need is a light dusting of salt, pepper, and flour to be pan-fried in oil or butter. Dress them up with a classic flour-egg wash-breadcrumb peparation for deep frying. I like a squirt of lemon and some parsley to finish, but they're also great with a homemade tartar sauce. If you're really adventurous, eat them live like the Koreans do! Please let me know how that goes.

Tartar Sauce

  • 1 cup mayonnaise, homemade or store-bought
  • 2 shallots, minced
  • 1 dill pickle, chopped fine
  • salt and pepper
  • juice of one lemon
  • 1/4 cup capers, chopped fine
Combine all in a bowl and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavours to marry.

This simple recipe can certainly be augmented with Tabasco, horseradish, dry mustard, fresh herbs...

2 comments:

  1. These delicacies instantly remind me of my youth when we would make weekend trips to the wharf (below the falls) on the mainland side of the bridge to the Island of Orleans, during the smelt "run", and purchase a whole bucket of these silver swimmers from the local fishermen for less than a dollar - it was an outing the whole family took part in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The recipies make me want to try diferent foods and that is a crazy idea for me! I love the blurbes about the ingredients. Thanks sis I will deffenetly keep reading, but im ot sure if I will try the live smelt....

    ReplyDelete